The University of Delaware
Opus 74, 2000
The Edward and Naomi Jefferson Pipe Organ is installed in the original home of St. Thomas Parish (Episcopal), which stands adjacent to the University of Delaware campus and has been recently restored for use as a small recital hall. Now named Bayard Sharp Hall, the building was built in 1843-45 in the early Gothic Revival style. It was deconsecrated in 1956; its subsequent decline has been arrested by a careful restoration directed by Homsey Architects of Wilmington, Delaware.
The new organ is placed in the balcony, with its console located on the side of the instrument. It is housed in a case of white oak, and employs mechanical key and stop actions. The pipes, many of which were made in the Dobson shop, are made of wood or alloys containing from 12% to 75% tin. Wind at 70 millimeters pressure is supplied from a large, single-rise reservoir.
The installation of this organ is believed to be the first ever broadcast from start to finish by webcam on the Internet. Videos of the installation in MPEG and QuickTime formats can be found on the University of Delaware's Pipe Organ Page.
Dr. David Herman is Professor of Organ and has recently stepped down as Chairman of the Department of Music.
Dobson Pipe Organ Builders, Ltd.
Site conception by metaglyph
All contents ©19992016 Dobson Pipe Organ Builders, Ltd.